When
getting on the subject of environment there’s a lot to talk about; from
recycling, oil, chemicals, ozone layer, destruction of land, water, etc. I
think that people don’t think about how much everything in their daily lives effects
the environment. It’s 11 A.M. and I can name three things I’ve done today that
effected the environment in a bad way; one being that I used hairspray this
morning which released chlorofluorocarbon
(CFC) into the air, biting away at the ozone layer one molecule at a time. I’m
not much of an outdoors person but I do enjoy the beauty of landscape. One
recent issue that really gets under my skin is the Taconite Mining that people
want to do in the Penokee Range up North, WISCONSIN. There are miles of beautiful
trees, waterfalls, land, animals homes that they want to ruin for a couple
paper clips. The reason I get so worked up about this is because it has been a
tradition every year for my family to go camping up North at Madeline Island. I’ve
never been to the Penokee Range, it’s a little west of where I go every year,
but pictures I’ve seen look just as beautiful as Bayfield and Madeline Island.
Another interesting fact about the taconite mining is that a bill just came
through congress saying that if they follow through with the mining any houses
in the way or water damage (most likely will happen) is not their fault. Most
likely people are going to be forced of their homes. The rivers they want to
destroy as well are the main water ways to our great lakes. I fear the day when
we destroy every beautiful piece of land and are left with ruin of dirt and
mines. Slowly but surely it’s happening; people need to open their eyes and
fight back for beauty of our environment.

No comments:
Post a Comment